Elsie Rose, CPA
Service that supports financial well-being
Elsie has 30 years of experience in providing accounting and assurance services to nonprofits and to closely held businesses and their owners in a wide variety of industries, including construction, manufacturing, and professional services. She began her career at A.M. Pullen in 1980 and later worked at Deloitte for several years. Elsie co-founded Rose, Creasy & Company in 1992, which became Rose, Sanderson & Creasy in 1997 and merged with Yount Hyde Barbour in 2005. Elsie, who has been named a Super CPA in the Governmental and Nonprofit practice area by Virginia Business magazine, currently heads our team serving investment advisors and asset managers. Elsie was named as the 2011 VSCPA Outstanding Member of the Year.
For nonprofits, Elsie is one of the best at presenting financial information to boards of directors and educating them about regulatory requirements, responsibilities, and effective management. For businesses as well as nonprofits, Elsie excels at advising clients about accounting systems, assisting with business plan design, and evaluating financing alternatives for expansion and capital expenditures. In providing assurance services, she adds value by identifying ways to improve the efficiency of auditing procedures and recommending appropriate accounting procedures to strengthen internal controls.
When working with business owners, Elsie first identifies personal and business goals to make sure they are aligned and to see how she can best assist management’s efforts to achieve them. She then looks at the expertise of management and the business’s financial performance to identify key performance indicators that management can routinely monitor. Her goal is to right-size services so clients get what they need in the most cost-effective manner. For nonprofits, she looks at how programs support their mission, reviews expense allocations to programs for accurate measurement of costs incurred to produce specific outcomes, and strives to produce clear, transparent financial statements that can be used as a selling tool to attract donors and meet stakeholders’ needs.
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, Member and Past Member of AICPA Council
- Virginia Society of Certified Public Accountants, Member and Past Chair
- Virginia Society of Certified Public AccountantsEducational Foundation,Past Chair
- CPA PAC, Board Member
- Greater Richmond Chamber of Commerce - IMPACT Award Committee
- Rotary Club of Hanover, Past President
- Instructive Visiting Nurse Association (IVNA), Board Member
- Ellen Shaw de Paredes Breast Cancer Foundation, Board Member
- Hanover Safe Place, Board Member
- Virginia Child Care Resource and Referral Network, Past President and former Board Member
- Safe Harbor, Inc., Past President and former Board Member
- B.S. degree in accounting from Virginia Commonwealth University
- Collecting beach glass
- Listening to live music, especially at Ashland Coffee & Tea
- Enjoying time with her husband, daughter, as well as two dogs and six cats